Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEI&B)
Quartz is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees, members, and community members’ unique insights, perspectives, backgrounds, and cultural differences are respected and valued.
We respect the differences and perspectives of our employees, members, and our community. We desire to:
- Create an inclusive workplace environment
- Team up with community collaborators to improve diversity awareness
- Educate, build, coach, and promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Be accountable and measure the impact, influence, and path of our efforts
We develop an inclusive culture, value all perspectives, educate others, show respect for all, serve our community, and evaluate our progress.
Quartz Earns Workplace Diversity Award
Expand All Close All
Growing Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
Employee Resource Groups, also known as Engagement Resource Groups, are voluntary, employee-led groups that focus on the experiences and perspectives of people of a particular race, ethnic or cultural background, gender, gender identity, religion, age cohort, sexual orientation, history of disabilities, military service, or other affinities. They foster a diverse, inclusive workplace aligned with the organizational mission, values, goals, business practices, and objectives. Quartz currently offers eight ERGs:
- Black Voices at Quartz
- Diverse Ability
- Allies of LGBTQ+
- Military Service Member
- Quartz Women United
Advancement of health equity
For us, making sure our services are culturally and linguistically appropriate is one way to improve the quality of services provided to all individuals, which will ultimately help reduce health disparities and achieve health equity. Being intentional about health equity requires respect and responsiveness: Respect the whole individual and respond to the individual’s health needs and preferences.
Read more about our efforts to make health equity a reality through NCQA accreditation.
Implementing the Race, Language, Ethnicity, and Other Accessibility Project
To provide accessible communication, services, and products, we are intentional about providing an equitable member and employee experience. Our work is in alignment with CMS requirements of providing certain communications or member materials in a preferred language or alternate formats.
Building an inclusive organization
As an opportunity for colleagues to become more aware and educated about diversity, equity, and inclusion topics, we offer employee lunch-and-learns on various DEI&B topics.
We prioritize preparing our employees to foster inclusive relationships with an emphasis on belonging. Some of the topics we integrate into our learning and development:
- COVID-19 and Health Disparities
- Cultural Humility
- Implicit Bias
- Gender Identity
- Cultural & Linguistic Diversity
- Enhancing Belonging
- Inclusive Leadership
Diversifying our vendor pool
We are intentional about diversifying our vendor pool, starting with identifying qualified vendors, not to the exclusion of non-diverse vendors.
What is a diverse supplier, and why is it important?
- Diverse suppliers are a business that is at least 51% owned and operated by an individual or group that is part of a traditionally underrepresented or underserved group. Common classifications are small-business enterprises (SBEs), minority-owned enterprises (MBEs), and woman-owned enterprises (WBEs). Over time, the definition of diversity has expanded to businesses owned by other minority groups, such as LGBQT+, veterans, and proprietors with disabilities (Harvard Business Review, 2020).
- Inclusive procurement also delivers broader societal benefits by generating economic opportunities for historically underrepresented communities.
In 2021, we developed a committee, Quartz Cares, to focus our philanthropic efforts on ways to eliminate health disparities, particularly those related to race and ethnicity.
Learn more about the impact of our efforts.
Quartz is an employer partner with the Latino Academy of Workforce Development, developing bilingual customer service training for individuals seeking to re-skill and change career paths.
Quartz has teamed up with the National Fitness Campaign on a statewide partnership to expand free access to world-class fitness by bringing The Fitness Court® to communities across Wisconsin. Through this campaign, we aim to help create equitable access to outdoor exercise programs for communities around the state.
DEI&B Change Team
Quartz is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees, members, and community members’ unique insights, perspectives, backgrounds, and cultural differences are respected and valued. The Change Team’s goals are to:
- Establish an inclusive workplace environment
- Collaborate with community stakeholders to enhance diversity awareness within the company and the greater community
- Define and gather metrics to show the impact of our actions