Shared decision making is the collaboration between patients and caregivers to come to an agreement about a health care decision. Quartz encourages health care providers to use shared decision-making methods with their patients.
Adolescent & Adult Vaccinations
This Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website houses a wealth of information about vaccinations as well as a quiz that can help adults and teenagers learn about recommended vaccines.
Alcohol Abuse & Dependence Screening
This Healthwise® tool helps patients determine if they have a drinking problem. Patients are encouraged to see a doctor if they think they may have a problem, no matter what the screening score.
Asthma Control Test/Childhood Asthma Control Test
These surveys help determine if your patient’s asthma is under control. Many other tools are available from asthma.com.
Breast Cancer Screening
This online tool helps health care practitioners estimate a woman’s risk of developing invasive breast cancer.
This five-question patient survey helps identify risk for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and provides information about the disease.
This Healthwise® tool helps patients assess their symptoms related to depression. The survey will help them determine whether further evaluation from a health care practitioner could be helpful.
This site provides data analysis and decision support for health care providers and their patients for discussing preference-sensitive decisions. Six tools are currently available:
- Cardiovascular Risk Tool – evaluates the risk of a cardiovascular event and illustrates risk reduction with statins and smoking cessation.
- Atrial Fibrillation Tool – evaluates the risk of stroke and illustrates risk reduction with anticoagulant medications; also shows the bleeding risk with anticoagulants.
- Lung Cancer Screening Tool – evaluates the risks/benefits of chest CT scans.
- Breast Cancer Screening Tool – evaluates the benefits/harm of regular mammograms.
- Osteoporosis Tool – illustrates FRAX risk and change with biphosphonates.
- Hypertension Tool – evaluates the risk of heart attack, cardiac death, and stroke and illustrates the risk improvement with antihypertensive medication and lifestyle change.
Lower Back Pain
These tools and resources help educate patients about lower back pain, including options for reducing pain.
Prostate Cancer Screening
This Healthwise® tool helps patients decide if they need to have a PSA blood test to check for prostate cancer. The tool compares the risks and benefits of testing versus not testing.