Releasing Health Information
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) generally requires that we obtain an authorization to release Protected Health Information (PHI) to your family or a friend (some exceptions may apply). If you would like us to discuss your claims or billing information with someone other than yourself, please fill out the General Authorization Form in MyChart, or here https://apps.quartzbenefits.com/memberforms/DisclosurePHI/. Once completed, you can return it to us and an authorization will be entered to allow release of the requested information.
When may PHI be released without a member’s authorization?
- Releasing PHI to the member after verifying the member’s identity
- To parents of a minor after verifying the parent’s identity and if permitted under the law
- HIPAA enforcement purposes
- When required by law (example: a court order requires it)
- Other uses / disclosures required or permitted by law
- For Unity’s Payment and Healthcare Operation
A member can specify which information may be released to named people or entities.
You may –
- Authorize a friend
- Authorize a family member
- Authorize an employer or potential employer