DO YOU HAVE AN ADVANCE CARE PLAN?
Did you know that 70% of Americans don’t have an advance care plan? We take time to plan milestones in our lives — baptisms, graduations, weddings and anniversaries — yet many of us haven’t taken the time to discuss our health care wishes.
Advance care planning ensures your wishes are known by your family, friends and doctors. This becomes especially important if you ever have a serious illness or injury and are unable to communicate.
ADVANCE CARE PLANNING CAN HELP YOU:
- Understand your treatment options
- Define your health care goals
- Weigh your options about the care and treatment you may want
- Choose a health care agent and/or complete an advance directive
- Your health care agent is the person you choose to speak for you if you become injured or ill and unable to communicate.
- An advance directive lets loved ones or a doctor know your wishes regarding medical treatment. It often includes a living will.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ADVANCE CARE PLANNING IS AVAILABLE ONLINE AT:
Source: UW Health Patient Guides, “Make Your Own Health Care Choices”, (accessed June 23, 2022), available at UWHealth.org.