It’s great news that we can finally see the light shining through this dark COVID-19 cloud. Now that we have the long-awaited vaccines available, it’s understandable that you may have questions. Here are a few facts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to set your mind at ease.
The COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective
The CDC recommends you get whatever vaccine is available as soon as possible. The vaccines are all highly effective at preventing COVID-19.
- They can also help prevent you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.
- Getting vaccinated may also help protect people around you, especially those at increased risk for severe illness.
COVID-19 vaccines have high safety standards
Clinical trials must show they are safe and effective before any vaccine is approved for use.
- COVID-19 vaccines were evaluated in tens of thousands of participants in clinical trials.
- The vaccines met FDA’s standards for safety, effectiveness, and quality needed to support emergency use authorization.
Side effects are relatively mild
You’ll be reassured to know the vaccines are undergoing the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history.
- Mild or moderate side effects may include pain or swelling at the injection site, fever, chills, tiredness, and headache. These side effects are a sign that your immune system is doing what it’s supposed to do – building up protection from COVID-19.
- If you’ve had an immediate allergic reaction to any vaccine or injectable medications for another disease — even if it was not severe — ask your doctor if you should get a COVID-19 vaccine. Because severe allergic reactions have been reported, all people are being monitored after receiving the vaccine.
Millions of people have already been vaccinated
Are you in the “wait and see” category? More than 277 million doses have already been administered in the U.S.
- As more people are vaccinated, confidence in the COVID-19 vaccines continues to rise.
- This is great news because for us to get back to normal, 70 to 80% of people need to be vaccinated.
COVID-19 vaccines are 100% covered
The vaccines are available at no cost. Quartz pays 100% of any COVID-19 vaccine administration fees, so members have a $0 cost-share.
What’s your next step?
See vaccine resources and links at QuartzBenefits.com/coronavirus. Check your provider’s or clinic’s website for information on availability. You can also check with your local public health department.