Quartz’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Department (DE&I) is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace, where the unique insights, perspectives, and backgrounds of all employees are valued. The organization’s leadership understands the importance of implementing initiatives that directly support a multi-cultural workforce. Learning more about cultural differences helps build an environment of trust, respect, and inclusion, making a positive impact on employees and members alike.
Quartz’s DE&I Statement focuses on respecting the differences and perspectives of employees, customers, and the community. The statement shares Quartz’s organizational objectives to:
- Create an inclusive workplace environment
- Team up with community collaborators to improve diversity awareness
- Educate, build, coach, and promote diversity and inclusion
- Be accountable and measure the impact, influence, and path of our efforts
Quartz’s DE&I Department, led by Manager Diego Campoverde and Coordinator Olivia RicoMcKeen, are creating opportunities and taking action to increase awareness, appreciation, and understanding of all differences. Quartz’s DE&I team is charged with creating a work environment that is inclusive, welcoming, and culturally diverse. At the same time, it is developing a culture that values the perspectives of all, educates others, shows respect, serves the community, and evaluates progress.
Quartz's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiatives:
- Diversity Matters Cultural Competency Training – Quartz is emphasizing and embedding cultural competency throughout our training in collaboration with the Organizational Learning and Development Department.
- Quartz Internal DE&I Assessment – Quartz is looking internally to assess the room for growth concerning diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- DE&I Change Team – This team was formed to establish a culturally diverse workforce at Quartz. The team collaborates with the company and community stakeholders to enhance awareness. They focus on internal communication, diversity training, and the promotion of cultural diversity. They provide sponsorships and support for cultural events, as well as local minority, disabled veteran, and women-owned businesses. This team has three committees: The Internal/Training/Awareness Workgroup, External Workgroup, Recruitment, and Supplier Diversity.
- Gender Pronouns eLearning – Quartz is raising awareness to support nonbinary, gender-nonconforming communities.
- Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) – Quartz is partnering with UW Health on ERGs providing opportunities for employees to network, pursue professional and personal development.
- DE&I Recognition Badge – Acknowledging employees who actively show respect for the differences and perspectives of our employees, customers, and communities.
- Lunch & Learn – During these interactive meetings, we explore the many facets of diversity, as well as many other topics like stereotyping and unconscious bias. Presenters come from Quartz and partner organizations.
- DE&I support the community – DE&I joined the Quartz Cares team raising awareness for those community members affected by COVID-19 who may be eligible to get assistance paying premiums.
- Addressing COVID-19 Health Disparities – Quartz is empowering our members most vulnerable to COVID-19 with information about prevention and resources if they feel they have experienced discrimination when seeking medical services.
- BadgerCare Plus Assessment Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) – Quartz continually assesses and adjusts efforts to best support our BadgerCare Plus members.
- Revamping Hiring Manager Training – Quartz is raising awareness about implicit bias with hiring managers, providing strategies for making objective hiring decisions in collaboration with the Organizational Learning and Development Department.
“A diverse mix of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.” —Sundar Pichai. CEO, Google
Quartz is committed to DE&I, as well as integrating diversity into talent and business practices. The organization allocates resources and training to create an internal DE&I culture that will result in high-quality plans and service to its members.