Here’s how to keep you and your family — pets included — out of harm’s way –
- Step up carefully when decorating. Use a step stool or ladder to place decorations in high places.
- Be cautious with candles. Always keep them at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn, on a stable surface and out of reach of children and pets. Don’t forget to blow them out when you leave the room.
- Check holiday lights. Take a close look to find any exposed or frayed wires, loose connections or broken sockets.
- Trim trees with kids and pets in mind. Keep breakable ornaments or those with metal hooks
near the top of the tree — and away from curious little ones and animals.
- Fireproof your tree too. Live trees dry out rapidly. Try to keep the stand filled with water and turn off all tree lights and decorations when not in use. Keeping your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and portable heaters will also help.
In a poison emergency, call the national Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222.
Sources: American Academy of Pediatrics; American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; Safe Kids Worldwide.