Almost all vaccinations for your baby should be covered by your health insurance. Baby health insurance plans in Wisconsin that meet the Affordable Care Act (ACA) rules include vaccinations for newborns. Furthermore, most vaccinations your baby may need are covered at no out-of-pocket cost to you if they are given by an in-network provider, even if you haven’t met your deductible.
The required vaccinations in Wisconsin that are covered by ACA-compliant plans are meant to protect children from at least all of the following1 –
- Pertussis (Whooping Cough)
- Tetanus (Lockjaw)
- Rubella (German measles)
- Haemophilus influenzae B (Meningitis)
- Hepatitis B
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
In Wisconsin, the vaccines listed above are also required for two through four-year-olds in day care, except for those who have waivers for certain vaccines.2
In addition to those listed above, a number of vaccinations are recommended for babies in Wisconsin –
- Hepatitis A
If you have a ACA-compliant plan for your baby, such as any plan from Unity, these vaccines will be covered at no copay. In addition, Unity may reward you for having your child fully immunized. Just sign up for Fill It In and Win to be entered in a drawing for a check up to $150.
What if I don’t have health insurance for my baby?
If you don’t have a baby health insurance plan because of cost, you have a couple options for getting your baby the vaccinations he or she needs –
- Visit access.wi.gov to see if you may qualify for BadgerCare Plus to get help with your baby’s vaccination costs through the Vaccines for Children program. The Vaccines for Children program helps babies and kids get the vaccines they need when cost is an issue.
- If you are not eligible for BadgerCare Plus there are still ways to qualify for the Vaccines For Children program. To qualify, your baby must be one of the following –
- Underinsured (your baby must go to Federally Qualified Health Centers or Rural Health Clinics for the vaccinations)
- American Indian or Alaska Native
Whether you're planning for a new baby or your new bundle of joy has just arrived, having good health coverage is essential. Get a quote for a health insurance plan for your baby today to get access to Unity’s robust benefits, including wellness programs and assistance for new moms in Wisconsin.