To Get the Freshest Fish, Do It Yourself –SAFELY
Wisconsin is home to many beautiful lakes and rivers. Before your next boating or fishing trip, please consider the following suggestions brought to you by Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) –
- Always wear a life jacket. Every person onboard is required to have a life jacket.
- Protect your skin from the sun and wear appropriate footwear.
- Never drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a boat.
- Ensure you have good weather beforeyou set sail.
- Have a fire extinguisher onboard.
- Test your boat lights before you leave thedock to be sure they are working.
- Tell someone when and where you are goingand when you plan to return.
For the fisherman, here are a few extra safety precautions to follow –
- Use caution when baiting and removing hooks.
- Handle fish carefully.
- Do not fish in areas where it is not permitted.
- Ensure you are fishing for the correct fish in the correct season.
- Be sure to have a map of the lake or river to avoid shallow or rocky areas.