Tips for Finding the Right Family Health Insurance Plans in Wisconsin
Finding the right family health insurance can be daunting. First, you have to understand the terms. Then, you have to understand the small but important differences between plans. Having a good idea of how your family actually uses health care can also help you choose the right plan. Here are some tips that may help.
- Subsidies. Before picking a family health insurance plan, see if you’re eligible for subsidies. In Wisconsin, families with incomes up to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level may be eligible to receive subsidies. In 2016, that’s up to $97,200 for a family of four. The level of subsidy will help you choose the right family health insurance plan.
- Know what all family health plans must provide. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) ensures that all ACA-compliant plans offer no-cost preventive services. This includes certain check-ups, vaccinations, screenings and more. They also must provide coverage for “essential health benefits”.
- Look at more than the cost of the monthly premium. Generally, if the premium is lower, you’ll pay more of the cost when you go to the doctor or use health care services. Ideally, you’ll find a plan that has the right mix of premium, deductibles and copays and / or coinsurance. To find the right family health insurance, look back at how you used health care services in the past year. Some key considerations –
- If you have small children, you may have visited a clinic or urgent care facility many times. In this case, picking family health insurance with a low copay might be the right choice.
- If any of your family members have prescriptions, check the drug formulary. See what you’ll actually pay out-of-pocket for your prescriptions.
- Check out the provider network. If you’re looking at family health insurance plans in Wisconsin, having access to the American Family Children’s Hospital is important. You may want to make sure your network includes this hospital, along with your favorite pediatricians and specialists. All of Unity’s ACA-compliant health plans include access to American Family Children’s Hospital as well as referral-free access to specialists.
- Find out if e-Visits are covered by family health insurance. Many busy families benefit from the convenience of visiting a health care practitioner online for minor ailments such as earaches, rashes or other problems.