Posted: September 8, 2022 by Quartz Staff
HealthLinks: Five Ways to Love Your Bones
Tips to get started
It’s true: time can take a toll on our bones. Some lifestyle habits can, too.
Through the years, our bones, which are constantly rebuilding themselves, can start to wear down faster than they’re replaced.
How to be good to your bones
It’s never too late to give our bones a boost. Here are a few tips to get you started.
- Stop by the dairy aisle. Not getting enough calcium and vitamin D can hasten bone loss. Aim to eat a healthy diet that includes calcium-rich foods such as low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Consider supplements. (Ask your doctor about your vitamin D and calcium needs, and whether a supplement would help.)
- Stay active. Weight-bearing workouts such as walking, climbing stairs, and lifting weights are great for bones. Exercising regularly also keeps your muscles strong so that you’re less likely to break a bone.
- If you smoke, do your best to quit. Smoking may contribute to unhealthy bones.
- Take steps to avoid accidents. Start with keeping a clutter-free floor and installing good lighting in your home.
Know your risk
You may have a higher risk of osteoporosis because of things that you cannot change — like your age, body size, or gender. Talk with your doctor about
your risk of osteoporosis and whether you should be screened for it.
Sources: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; National Institutes of Health; HealthinAging.org
Quartz Launches Mental Well-Being Programs with AbleToRead more
Leave diabetes behind and move forward to healthier daysRead more
Quartz Continues Partnership with Milwaukee Brewers for 2023 SeasonRead more
Welcome to better well-beingRead more
Quartz Receives Richard L. Doyle Award for Successful Prior Authorization AutomationRead more