Your genetics do play a role in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Did you know that Type 2 diabetes is also caused by lifestyle factors? You can practice self-care to help prevent or delay Type 2 diabetes.
Before people develop Type 2 diabetes, they nearly always have prediabetes. There are often no clear symptoms. Blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. Simple lifestyle changes can reduce your risk of prediabetes and help prevent prediabetes from becoming Type 2 diabetes.
Here are five ways to lower your risks:
- Get and stay active. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week. Engage in activities you enjoy and will stick with long term.
- Make healthier food choices. Limit foods high in sugar, refined carbs, and unhealthy fats, opting for foods low in calories and high in fiber.
- Watch your weight. Maintain a healthy weight. Getting active and eating better will help. Reducing fat around the waist is especially important.
- Drink lots of water. Avoid sugary beverages such as soda. Water as your primary beverage will help control blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Be a quitter. Smoking is linked to the risk of diabetes, especially in heavy smokers. Quitting can reduce your risk over time.
At Quartz, we care about helping you live your best lives. Making these simple lifestyle changes today will help delay or prevent prediabetes or Type 2 diabetes tomorrow.
- About one-third of adults have prediabetes
- 90% are not aware they have prediabetes
- Lifestyle changes can prevent Type 2 diabetes
Get the Support You Need:
The Diabetes Health Management Program at Quartz can help you enjoy life by managing your symptoms. The program offers support, learning opportunities, resources, and reminders. Learn more at Quartz.Benefits.com/healthandwellness.
Are you newly diagnosed with diabetes? Are you a new Quartz member who has diabetes? Please call Customer Service at (800) 362-3310 to learn more about your benefits related to diabetes.