Young woman in graduation cap hugging her friend

College Prep Health Checklist

In order for both you and your college kid to be prepared, here are a few things you can do now for them to have a healthy start at school.

Your kids’ health information and HIPAA

Once your child turns 18, HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) generally prevents practitioners from sharing health information without your

child’s permission. This can be a big change for both you and your child. Once age 18, your child may give you permission to talk to the practitioner if he or she would like you to be involved. They may sign a General Authorization form, which is available online at


If your child takes regular medications, you will need to make a plan to manage them. To find a Unity pharmacy near your child’s school, visit You can also see if the medicine is available through Unity’s Choice90 program where you may order a 90-day supply at one time for certain medications for chronic conditions. You can also check with your student’s health department at their school to see if there is a pharmacy available. Certain prescriptions for controlled drugs such as ADHD treatment can be kept on file at the college pharmacy to be picked up on a monthly basis.

Chronic conditions

If your child has a chronic condition like diabetes or asthma, you can let the student health department know. The staff can work with you and your child to determine how to manage their care while at school. They may also be able to help find a practitioner in the area who can oversee his or her care.

Health care coverage

Most colleges have a student health department. Services offered by the health department are sometimes covered during student orientation or at registration. These health departments may not cover all aspects of care, so be sure to ask if you don’t understand what is and isn’t covered.

Coverage for students attending college outside of Unity’s service area*

If your child is covered under your Unity plan, he or she can access emergency or urgent care wherever his or her school is located. Plus, HMO members who are full-time students, age 18 and older and attend school outside of Unity’s service area, can be covered for medically necessary care. To be covered, the student must request a prior authorization before receiving care. He or she can request a prior authorization through Unity’s Medical Management department by calling (866) 884-4601. If approved, Unity will pay 50 percent of usual, customary charges and reasonable charges. These charges are determined by Unity and are subject to the maximum benefits stated in your policy documents.

Related Posts